Friday, October 23, 2009

The Phillies Make History!


I'm not a real baseball fan.

I lost my taste for baseball in 1964 during the Phillies famous meltdown and never really recovered. But last year the Phillies captured my imagination and when they won the world series in game 5 I was there (for both parts of the game on both nights)

It was an interesting experience. I had been at an NBA final in 2001 when the Sixers played the Lakers, and at the Superbowl in Jacksonville when the Eagles played the Patriots, so last year wasn't the first time I saw a Philadelphia team try for a championship. It was however the first time I actually saw them win one. It was exactly like the other two times, except that last year, in the world series there wasn't a sense of sickening loss at the end of the game. It just felt good!

Now, for the first time I can remember, the Phillies have won the National League championship for a second year in a row. In fact, according to Wikipedia, its the first time in the team's history that they ever won two pennants in a row!

I've been a fan in Philadelphia too long to be too excited, but their success does lead me to be an optimist. I guess we'll wait and see what happens, but at least I know I'l be watching and hoping that they break another record

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: