Tuesday, June 24, 2008

An Open Letter Re: My New Fortune


I just got an email with the subject line Preferred Partner. Since I belong to a number of associations with affiliate groups, I actually opened and found this;
Ogechi Promise
From Ogechi Promise
Rue de Dulie 7th Avenue Plot 41 Williams Ville

Dear Prefered Partner

l am an orphan having $16,800,000 USD with a private trust company for safe keeping. I am willing to offer you 10% of the total fund if you can assist me transfer this fund to your country or any bank of your wish. I wish to invest in a stable economy. My interest is in companies with potentials for rapid growth in long terms.

I am interested in placing my fund in your country, if your country's bi-laws allow foreign investment. You can contact me for more details via my e-mail address with your reference. This fund I inherited from my late father who excels as a government contractor till his death by the rebels in 2006 in here in the country capital while I lost my mother at my early age of 2yrs this made me the only child of the family. Don't fail to indicate interest by furnishing me with your private details phone, fax, address, occupation and age.

Yours faithfully,
Ogechi Promise


I understand that even Scam artistes need to make a living. And the whole Nigerian Scam , or huge lottery letters seem to be sort of a "cottage industry" for email con artists But I think this has to stop. This letter is a new low for the entire Scamming Industry.

What happened to the Robert Redford and Paul Newman type of scam we all felt so warm about in the classic movie "The Sting"? If you want my money, can't you at least pretend that I'm smarter then a slug? Make it confusing enough so that I have to go to Snopes to check it out or read the Scambusters newsletter to find the newest in creative Internet theft? So that it is understood that I am not asking the impossible, I refer you to the classic letter known as Son of Spam. This is a standard to reach for.

Look, I am a well informed consumer, I don't open emails from people I don't know with strange attachments. I don't click on links in strange emails because I am familiar with the concept of "phishing", so if you want my money, you will need to work a little harder.

I look forward to a higher level of service in the future. If you're going to lie to me or try to entrap me , at least be clever about it. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, he's an orphan. He told me he was a long lost relative. OK, now I'm suspicious.

Anonymous said...

Might I tell you that you will look sooo attractive swaddled in orphan money? lol I was a twin abandoned at birth. I feel that this is my twin and I am entitled to half... at least half.