Thursday, October 23, 2008

Go Phillies

Philadelphia: Citizen's Bank Park - Robin Robe...

Image by wallyg via Flickr




I'm a home town sports fan. I follow the Philadelphia, Eagles and the Sixers regularly. I suffer with them through all of the almost wons and the agonizing seasons because that's what Philadelphia sports fans do. But I have to admit I'm not much of a baseball fan. When I was a kid, I loved the Phillies. My Mom was a huge baseball fan, and she loved Robin Roberts and the Whiz Kids, and I loved my mom so I loved them too. (I'm actually still kind of fond of Robin Roberts - great pitcher AND a neat name). But in 1964, with a 6 1/2 game lead for the championship, the Phillies proceeded to loose 10 straight games, which went down as one of the worst "chokes" in Major League Baseball, and tore my young heart out. So I stopped following baseball for the most part.

This year, the Phillies got me back, but I have to admit that I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I'm not going to pretend to be one of the true faithful that have struggled over the past few years as they almost made it, but I am a happy guy. One of baseball's oldest franchises is fighting it out with one of baseball's newest, and they're earning their name of the "Fightin' Phillies". An underdog going into the 1st game, without home field advantage, the Phillies won the first game in the series last night. I've been a fan in Phillie too long to get too excited, but I'm back for this ride - hope its a good one!




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: